Ian N. Roher
PartnerDirect Phone: 416-865-5311
Office Phone: 416-365-9320
Phone: 416-365-9320 x455
Phone: 416-365-9320 x130
Ian N. Roher
Ian’s civil and commercial litigation practice includes diverse areas such as shareholder battles, guarantee claims, real estate litigation and bankruptcy issues. He also has had significant experience in franchising and related areas, such as commercial leasing disputes and has acted on a number of claims relating to lawyers’ negligence. For many years, Ian was a member of the Executive Committee of the Ontario Bar Association, Franchise Section and jointly chaired its 2010 Annual Franchise Conference.
Ian has appeared before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Ontario Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada. He taught Civil Procedure in the Bar Admissions Course for a number of years and has written and lectured extensively at various programs offered by the Ontario Bar Association, the Canadian Bar Association, the Canadian Institute and various private continuing legal education providers.
For more than 30 years, Ian has received the highest peer review rating available of “AV” from LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell for legal ability and ethical standards and as a result, was recently named one of Toronto's Top Rated Lawyers. Has been listed for many years in Lexpert® as an expert in franchising law and as one of Law Day’s 46 leading Canadian franchise lawyers.
- B. A. from the University of Toronto in 1971
- LL.B. from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1974
- Injunction Wars and Strategies to Win [Written with Jonathon D.A. Baker]
- Bringing and Defending Franchise Injunctions
- Hot Spots in Franchising [Written with Frank Zaid]
- Remedies under the Arthur Wishart Act
- Practical Considerations when Drafting Non Competition Clauses
- A Franchisor’s “Ounce of Prevention”- Initial Strategies to Maximize Control and Minimize Exposure
- Litigation Flashpoints: Fair Dealing under the Arthur Wishart Act (Franchise Disclosure) 2000 Act
- Annual Franchise Law - Statutory Remedies: New and More?
- Maybe [Written with Ross Bain]
- Annual Franchise Law-The Elusive “Clean Break”: Termination
- and Post-Termination Rights and Obligations [Written with TaimiWilliamson]
- Anatomy of a Franchise Rescission Case under the Ontario Arthur Wishart Act [Written with Steven H. Goldman]
- Listed in Lexpert as Expert in Franchise Law
- Awarded highest peer review rating of “AV” from LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed by Lexpert publication as One of Toronto's Top Rated Lawyers
Avid hobbyist with interests in everything from high-end audio to fast cars, former musician who still loves music, great fan of science fiction (written and on screen) and wannabe photographer.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Advocates Society
- American Bar Association
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- Litigation Lawyers of America