David Altshuller is a partner at Teplitsky, Colson LLP.
David has a broad based corporate/commercial litigation practice with an emphasis on franchise disputes, estate matters, shareholder disputes, insolvency/restructuring proceedings, construction disputes and property/leasing matters. When required, he can assemble and manage a team of lawyers across a variety of practice areas in order to deal with his clients' issues in a thorough and cost-effective manner.
David has spoken at numerous conferences and seminars sponsored by, among others, the Ontario Bar Association and the Canadian Franchise Association.
In 2014, 2015 and 2016 David was listed by Lexpert® as an expert in Franchising Law and selected by Franchise Times Magazine as a "Legal Eagle". He is also listed in the 2015, 2016 and 2017 editions of Best Lawyers International and the 2015 and 2016 editions of Who's Who Legal Canada. In 2017 and 2018, David was rankedby Chambers and Partners as a Recognized Practitioner in Franchising. In 2018, David was selected by peers for inclusion in the 13th edition of the Best Lawyers in Canada.
- B.A., University of Toronto (1993)
- J.D., Osgoode Hall Law School (2004)
- Enforcing and Defending a Claim for Statutory Rescission (with Jeffrey P. Hoffman) – Ontario
- Bar Association 10 th Annual Franchise Law Conference (2010)
- Annual Legal Update (with Allan D.J. Dick) - Ontario Bar Association 11 th Annual Franchise Law Conference (2011)
- Discovery Plans and E-Discovery - What Does a Good Discovery Plan Look Like? (with Brian N. Radnoff) – Osgoode Professional Development (2011)
- Determination and Calculation of Damages Pursuant to Sections 6 and 7 of the Arthur Wishart Act (Franchise Disclosure), 2000, S.O. 2000, c. 3 – Ontario Bar Association Annual Institute (2013)
- Lawyer Conduct Disclosed: Potential Liability of Franchise Counsel for Failure to Comply with Franchise Disclosure Requirements (with Karen Granofsky and Darrell Jarvis) - Ontario Bar Association 14 th Annual Franchise Law Conference (2014)
- Franchising in Ontario – The Duty of Good Faith, Fair Dealing… and Honesty? (with Darrell Jarvis and Craig Bellefontaine) - Ontario Bar Association Annual Institute (2015)
- Quick Service Justice? – Franchise Litigation Under the New Summary Judgment Regime (with Derek Ronde) – Canadian Franchise Association Law Day (2015)
- Hitting the Moving Target: The Ongoing Evolution of Good Faith and Fair Dealing in Franchising (forthcoming with Derek Ronde, Paul Bates and Jean-Marc Leclerc) - Ontario Bar Association 15 th Annual Franchise Law Conference (2015)
- Listed by Lexpert® as an expert in Franchising Law (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019)
- Selected by Franchise Times Magazine as a “Legal Eagle” (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019)
- Listed in Best Lawyers International (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019)
- Listed in Who's Who Canada Legal (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019)
- Recognized Practitioner in Franchising in Chambers and Partners
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Canadian/Ontario Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Forum on Franchising and Litigation Sections)
- The Advocates' Society
- Metropolitan Toronto Lawyers' Association
- Restaurants Canada
- Canadian Franchise Association